this is the regular indian chutney sandwich with a twist.
8 slices bread (smooth, not grainy preferably )
coriander chutney – home made or frozen from indian store
1-2 tomatoes depending on size (beefsteaks are delicious )
Optional – thinly sliced onion and cucumber
-butter the slices of bread
-apply green chutney on one side
-apply ketchup and sprinkle chat masala on the other
-layer on tomatoes and avocado slices
-put the slices together
other options that I have tried successfully
-alternatively mash up the avocado with a little salt and pepper and spread it
-add a slice of cheese and make a grilled cheese
-use mayo instead of butter
I saw Rachael Ray make this recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/lemon-pepper-drummers-recipe.html It looked interesting , so, I made my own version. And it was fantastic.
4 chicken drumsticks and 4 chicken thighs *
2 tablespoons garam masala
1 teaspoon chat masala
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 tablespoon ground pepper
2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons oil
8-10 cloves of garlic sliced
salt to taste
1. Heat up the oil
2. Pat dry the chicken pieces and sprinkle salt, pepper and garam masala on both sides
3. Cook the chicken on both sides till its brown on both sides and well cooked
4. Keep aside
5. Zest one of the lemons and keep aside
6. Add butter to the same pan
7. When it starts foaming add the garlic
8. When the garlic is cooked, add the rest of the pepper, chat masala, garam masala and chilli powder
9. Add the lemon juice, zest and cilantro and cook it for a minute or so
10. Add back the cooked chicken and mix to coat
* I am going to just use boneless chicken thighs so they cook faster
I make variations of this soup, but, this combination tasted pretty good , so putting it down.
Just a list of ingredients with approximate ,not exact measurements
3 cups roasted squash ( I had 3 small different varieties of squash)
4 large tomatoes
1 cup or more of Portuguese cabbage
2 cups of frozen corn
1 cup of carrots
water ( i was out of vegetable stock)
lots of pepper
1 tsp of oregano
1/2 teaspoon harissa
a table spoon of oil
3-4 cloves of garlic
6-8 cups of water
1. Heat oil and saute garlic and onions
2. Add spices, tomatoes and water and cook for a bit
3. Add corn and carrots
4. When it comes to a boiil , simmer for, maybe 20 minutes
5. Add cabbage and simmer some more
6. Serve with grated cheese on top and some crusty bread
I found this while ‘food-gawking’. It turned out really good. I didn’t mix the rice noodles with the chicken, but, served the chicken and sauce on top of the noodles.
I didn’t have the vegetables from the recipe, so, I added what I had.
From My bare cupboard: Chicken Satay noodles
2 pounds chicken breast, sliced thin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
3 tablespoons massaman curry paste ( I use Mae-Ploy brand)
3 tablespoons peanut butter
1 tablespoon light brown soft sugar
1/2 can of coconut milk
3-4 cups of vegetables – bell peppers, carrots, mushrooms, snap peas, corn (I only had bell peppers and carrots)
juice of one lemon
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of rice noodles
large handfuls of fresh coriander , roughly chopped
large handfuls of scallions, finely chopped
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
- Heat oil in a large pan and fry the chicken , over medium heat , until golden and cooked through Add ground coriander and curry paste and fry for 1 minute .
- Stir in the peanut butter , sugar , coconut milk and water until combined
- Add vegetables and simmer for 3-4 minutes until veggies are just tender .
- Cook the noodles on the side
Take noodles in a bowl and put the chicken on top
Squeeze some lemon and top with the cilantro and scallions and peanuts
I wanted to use up some apples, so, I went around looking for a simple recipe and came across this Apple Crisp Recipe
It was easy to make and pretty tasty. I just subbed white whole wheat flour for the flour.
4 cups peeled, sliced apples
2/3-3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup soft butter
- Heat oven to 375.
- Place apples in greased 9″ square pan.
- Blend remaining ingredients until crumbly.
- Put over apples.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until apples are tender and topping is brown.
- Serve warm with milk, or ice cream, or whipped cream.
Maple mustard chicken, or World’s best chicken as Rachel Schultz calls it is another great Pinterest find. It comes out really moist and tasty. But, you need to love the mustard flavor
I make it almost exactly the same as the website suggests.
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup Dijon mustard (I have used plain yellow mustard or spicy brown)
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon honey/brown sugar
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt & pepper
Fresh rosemary (I use dried rosemary because I almost never have fresh)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together all the ingredients except the chicken
- Keep a couple of tablespoons of the mixture aside to use later
- Dip the chicken breasts in mixture and cover them completely
- Line a sheep pan with foil and place the chicken breasts on it
- Pour the remaining sauce on top of the chicken breasts
- Bake at 30-40 mins.
- Turn up the heat to around 500 degrees for the last 5 minutes
- While the chicken is baking, microwave the rest of the sauce for 30 secs
- Serve with additional sauce on the top
My husband loves the chicken meatball curry from our local restaurant. I wanted to make something similar.
These turned out to be so moist and delicate and tasty. The measurements here are approximations, I will update them when I make them next.
2 pounds boneless,skinless chicken thighs
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
2-3 green chillies, chopped
1 inch of ginger, minced
4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon oil
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 C
- Pulse the chicken in the food processor till minced, for a couple of times
- Add all of the other ingredients and pulse to mix
- Form meatballs slightly smaller than a golf ball. It will make around 15-18 meatballs
- Line a sheet pan with foil and brush with oil
- Bake for 20-30 mins.
- Meatballs are ready. Let cool
- To make the curry part, make the gravy for butter chicken
- Add the meatballs to the gravy.
Note: I was able to successfully freeze the meatballs. I made the gravy and then warmed the meatballs in the gravy